As a person aiming to have a healthy body, it is necessary to take care of Thyroid like all the other parts of the body. The Thyroid is a tiny organ with a butterfly in the throats gland that is critical for activities such as controlling the heart’s pace and determining the speed in which the body burns calories.
Thyroid disease may, however, hinder your body from getting these benefits. Dietary supplements that have continued to gain a lot of popularity may help with the thyroid disease.
Some dietary supplements may be used in treating thyroid diseases, whereas others may not. The following are critical nutrients that should be contained in nutritional supplements to help in treating thyroid diseases.
- Iodine: iodine is the most essential nutrient for thyroid health. The nutrient is used by the thyroid gland to produce hormones such as thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3). Supplements containing iodine should be consumed at limited amounts
- Vitamin D: vitamin D is useful for the Thyroid by improving the TSH levels of those with thyroid autoantibodies due to autoimmune thyroiditis and also with hypothyroidism. Lack of sufficient vitamin D may lead to higher chances of getting Grave’s disease and Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. Adequate consumption of vitamin D will, therefore, help you avoid such diseases.
- Vitamin A: vitamin A is not only needed for good vision but also helps in optimizing the metabolism in thyroid hormones.
- Zinc: Zinc helps in synthesizing thyroid hormones such as thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3) in the body. Women facing weight issues such as obesity due to hypothyroidism may benefit from having Zinc since it helps in controlling the issues, thus leading to weight loss.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acid Supplements: these supplements are particularly useful for those affected with autoimmune thyroid diseases. Taking dietary supplements such as fish oil supplements will help a person significantly manage the issue of autoimmune thyroid disease.
- Selenium: selenium playa a critical role in the metabolism of thyroid hormones. Using selenium supplements will help in reducing anti-thioperoxides antibody levels.
Dietary supplements that should be avoided
- Ashwagandha and Bladderwrack: there’s still not enough evidence on Ashwagandha helping in combating thyroid diseases; thus, my not guarantee results when combating thyroid diseases. Bladderwrack contains dangerously high levels of iodine, which is not suitable for anyone facing thyroid problems.
- Bovine Thyroid Extracts: Bovine Thyroid Extracts may be a package as supplements and should not be considered as a treatment option for thyroid diseases since they have not been proven to treat thyroid diseases.